|Name||Prof. Dr. Tahir Mahmood|
|Department||Electrical Engineering (Taxila)|
|Specialization||Electrical Power Distribution System: Energy Sources, Power Quality Control and Automation|
|Cell No||0300 9865653|
PhD. Electrical Engineering-UET Taxila (June 2009)
M.Sc. Electrical Engineering-UET Lahore (1999)
B.Sc. Electrical Engineering (Hons)-UET Lahore (1992)
Post-Graduate (PhD) Thesis Supervised
• Currently Supervising 05-PhD Scholars (2015).
Graduate (MSc) Thesis Supervised
1. Automating Manufacturing Systems with PLCs (Completed September 2011)
2. Fault Locator System for Distribution System (Completed April, 2012)
3. Modeling of a doubly-fed Induction Generator based Wind Energy Conversion System (WECS) with Matrix Converter (Completed December, 2012)
4. Life Enhancement of PFI Capacitors in Industrial Environment (Completed June 20, 2013)
5. Impact on the PV System: Climatic and Technical Variables (Completed; Jan. 2014)
6. Design of Protection Coordination Scheme for the Power Distribution System with the Distributed Generation (Completed; Feb. 2014).
7. Smart Energy Management System (Completed; Feb. 2015).
8. Protection Coordination Scheme for Dispersed Generation Integration in Distribution System (Completed; Feb. 2015).
9. Protection Scheme for Micro-grid in Distributed Generation Environment (Completed; Feb. 2015).
10. Penetration Model of Distributed Energy Resources in Smart Grid Environment Using PSCAD (Near Completion)
11. Feeder Reconfiguration for Service Restoration by Optimal Composition and Placement of Switches in Multi DG Scenario. (Near Completion)
12. DG Allocation in Distribution Network for Voltage Improvement and Loss Reduction Using ABC Algorithm. (Near Completion)
13. Medium Voltage Hybrid automatic Transfer Switch. (In Progress)
Undergraduate Thesis Supervised during 2014-15
1. On Load Transformer Tap Changer
2. Smart Energy Meter and Theft Control
3. Voltage Balancing in Low Voltage Distribution Networks
4. Variable Frequency Drive for Three Phase Induction Motor
Undergraduate Thesis Supervised during 2013-14
5. RS 485 Based SCADA Control for Distribution Systems
6. Peak Load Balancing and Management
7. Automatic Power Factor Correction
8. Speed Control of Single Phase AC Motor
9. Single Phase Transformer Trainer
10. Implementation of distribution static compensator for power quality enhancement
11. FACTS Application in Distribution System
12. Pure Sine-wave Inverter
13. Design, Modeling, and Simulation of Tap Changer
14. Smart Energy Meter
15. DC Motor Speed Synchronization for Rolling Mill
16. Automatic Transfer Switch
Undergraduate Thesis Supervised during 2012-13
17. Design, Simulation and analysis of Solar Thermal Power Plant
18. Modeling and Analysis of UET Taxila Feeder using software techniques
19. Solar Energy System with Micro-Grid Station
20. Substation Protection through relay coordination using ETAP
21. Modeling, Analysis and Fault Protection of Substation using ETAP
22. On load Tap changing Transformer using Solid State Devices
23. Design, study and simulation of Stir-ling Engine Generator
24. Smart Energy Meter (Won second prize in Open House 2013)
Undergraduate Thesis Supervised during 2011-12
25. Automatic On-Load Tap Changer
26. Application of FACTS Devices
27. GSM Based Remote Energy Meter
28. Reliability Analysis of a particular 11-kV feeder
29. Wind power generation system
Undergraduate Thesis Supervised during 2010-11
30. Design and Fabrication of Grid Connected Solar Power System
31. Biomass Energy Potential in Pakistan
32. Automatic Voltage Regulator, Design and Fabrication
33. Distribution System Reliability
34. Substation Automation
35. Distribution Feeder Fault Locator System
36. Operational Problem in Power Transformer
37. Harmonic Analysis to improve Power Quality
38. Wind Energy Potential in Pakistan
Undergraduate Thesis Supervised during 2007
39. Analysis and Design of Harmonic Filters
40. Data Transmission using Power Lines
41. Performance Analysis of 220/132/11/0.4 kV Network of KAPCO using PSCAD/EMTDC software package
Undergraduate Thesis Supervised during 2006
42. Study Design and Simulation of Industrial Power Distribution System
Elecric Power Generation Sources
Simulation and Modeling of Power Electronic Components
Electric Power Quality and Reliability
Electric Power Distribution Control & Automation
Distribution System Planning
Prof. Dr. Tahir Mahmood Dated: 20-02-2015
Journal Publication List (Selected)
1. Shafique Muhammad, Tahir Mahmood, and Muhammad Ahmad Choudhry, “Photovoltaic Technology Selection Using Analytical Hierarchical Process”, Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, Transactions of the ASME, Vol. 137 / 021018, pp 1-12, APRIL 2015. (DOI:10.1115/1.4029543). (Impact Factor).
2. Yousaf H. Khattak, Tahir Mahmood, Khurshid Alam, Tahir Sarwar, Inayat Ullah, Hanif Ullah, “Smart energy management system for utility source and photovoltaic power system using FGGA and ZigBee”, American Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, ISSN: 2326-912X (print); ISSN: 2326-9200 (online), 2014; 3(5): 86-94.
3. Sara Ashfaq, A. Arif, A. Shakeel and T. Mahmood, “Reactive Power Control Of Wind Farm Using Facts Devices”, Published in The Nucleus, A quarterly Scientific Journal of Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission, NCLEAM, ISSN 0029-5698, Vol.51, No.2 (2014), pp 259-274.
4. S. A. RAZA, T. MAHMOOD and S. B. A. BUKHARI, “Optimum Overcurrent Relay Coordination: A Review”, Published in The Nucleus, A quarterly Scientific Journal of Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission, NCLEAM, ISSN 0029-5698, Vol.51, No.1 (2014) 37-49.
5. Tahir Mahmood, Asim Shoaib and Salman Zafar, “Impact of Smart Grid Components on Distribution System Reliability: A Review”, Published in Life Science Journal, Volume 11 Number 3, pp 23-32, January 2014. 2014;11(3) (HEC Recognized Impact Factor journal ISSN: 1097-8135; Impact Factor 2012: 0.165).
6. Faisal Masood, Tahir Mahmood, and Mohammad Ahmed Choudhry, “Modeling and Simulation of Matrix Converter for Wind Power Generation”, Published in The Nucleus, A quarterly Scientific Journal of Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission, NCLEAM, ISSN 0029-5698, Vol.50, No.3 (2013).
7. Tahir Mahmood, Hasham Khan and M. A. Choudhry, “Pakistan’s Hydro Potential and Energy Crises”, Published in Life Science Journal, Volume 10, Number 3, pp 1059-1069, August, 2013. (HEC Recognized Impact Factor journal ISSN: 1097-8135; Impact Factor 2012: 0.165).
8. Tahir Mahmood, Salman Zafar, Hasham Khan, Faisal Masood, and Jamil Ahmad Khan, “Loading Balance of Distribution Feeders with a Generic Loop Power Flow Controller”, Published in Life Science Journal, Volume 10, Number 4, pp 2703-2713, December 2013. (HEC Recognized Impact Factor journal ISSN: 1097-8135; Impact Factor 2012: 0.165).
9. Syed Auon Raza, Tahir Mahmood, Syed Basit Ali Bukhari and M. Kashif Nawaz, “ Application of Optimization Techniques in Overcurrent Relay Coordination-A Review,” Published in World Applied Sciences Journal 28 (2): 259-265, 2013, ISSN 1818-4952. IF=0.234.
10. Syed Auon Raza, Tahir Mahmood, “Optimum Relay Coordination using Continuous Genetic Algorithm,” Article No. WASJ-2014-14, Accepted in World Applied Sciences Journal 25th January, 2014, ISSN 1818-4952. IF=0.234.
11. Syed Auon Raza, Tahir Mahmood, “Optimum Overcurrent Relay Coordination using Reduced Surrogate Continuous Genetic Algorithm,” Under review in Journal of Zhejiang University Science C (Computers & Electronics),M.No. ZUSC-D-14-00024. dated 25th Jan, 2014. IF=0.297 (2012).
12. Mohammad Ahmed Choudhry, Khurram Ali, Aamir Hanif and, Tahir Mahmood, , “Investigating Target Tracking Problem Using A Simple De-Correleration Scheme”, Published in The Nucleus, A quarterly Scientific Journal of Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission, NCLEAM, ISSN 0029-5698, Vol.49, No.4 (2012), pp 273-283.
13. S.Aabis Raza Naqvi, Tahir Mahmood, Mohammad Ahmed Choudhry and Aamir Hanif, “Automating Horizontal Boring and Milling Machine”, Published in The Nucleus, A quarterly Scientific Journal of Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission, NCLEAM, ISSN 0029-5698, Vol.49, No.3 (2012).
14. Aamir Hanif, Mohammad Ahmed Choudhry and Tahir Mahmood, “Feed-Forward Control Strategy for the Voltage Source Converter of DVR for Smooth and Clean Power Delivery to the Load”, Published in the quarterly Mehran University Research Journal of Engineering and Technology, ISSN 0254-7821 , Volume 31, Number 2, April, 2012, pp 227-242.
15. Aamir Hanif, Mohammad Ahmed Choudhry and Tahir Mahmood, “Unipolar SPWM based VSC Control Strategy for the Series CPD to Compensate Power Quality issues to Regulate Power Flow to Load”, Published in American Journal of Scientific Research (AJSR), ISSN: 1450-223X, Issue 57, March 2012, pp. 113-137. (HEC Recognized ISI Master Journal List -Thomson Reuters)
16. Mohammad Ahmed Choudhry, Yasir, Aamir Hanif and Tahir Mahmood, “Designing of Schemes for Investigating GUI based Acoustics Shooter Detection & Localization”, Published in American Journal of Scientific Research (AJSR), ISSN: 1450-223X, 2012, Issue 57, March 2012, pp. 138-151.(HEC Recognized ISI Master Journal List -Thomson Reuters)
17. Mohammad Ahmad Choudhry, Sanam Mughal, Aamir Hanif and Tahir Mahmood, “Development of Antenna Rotation Control for Maximum Amplitude Signal Detection using Labview”, Published in American Journal of Scientific Research (AJSR), ISSN: 1450-223X, Issue 58, pp 10-23, 2012. (HEC Recognized ISI Master Journal List -Thomson Reuters).
18. .Tahir Mahmood, and M. A. Choudhry, “Medium voltage three phase static transfer switch operation: Simulation and modeling”, Published in the quarterly Mehran University Research Journal of Engineering & Technology, Jamshoro Sindh, Pakistan, Volume 29, Number 4, pp 621-634, October, 2010.
19. Tahir Mahmood, and M. A. Choudhry, “Operation of static transfer switch to reconfigure complementary feeder”, Published in the quarterly Mehran University Research Journal of Engineering & Technology, Jamshoro Sindh, Pakistan, Volume 29, Number 3, pp 417-430, July, 2010.
20. Tahir Mahmood, and M. A. Choudhry, “Performance improvement of complementary feeders using static transfer switch system”, Published in the Journal of Zhejiang University-Science A, Zhejiang University Press, co-published with Springer-Verlag GmbH, ISSN 1673-565X (print) 1862-1775 (Online) Volume 10, pp. 189-200. Number 2, February, 2009. DOI 10.1631/jzus.A0820127. SpringerLink Date: 12th February 2009. (HEC Recognized, Impact Factor).
21. Hasham Khan, M. A. Choudhry, and Tahir Mahmood, “An Algorithm to Improve Feeder Performance at Distribution Level for Extreme Load Growth Scenario”, Published in the quarterly Mehran University Research Journal of Engineering and Technology, ISSN 0254-7821 , Volume 27, Number 4, October, 2008, pp 377-392.
22. Aamir Hanif, Hasham Khan, M. A. Choudhry and Tahir Mahmood, “Simulation and Analysis of Electric Power Distribution System Bus Voltage with the Support of Distributed Generation” Published in the World Scientific and Engineering Association Transactions on POWER SYSTEMS, ISSN: 1790-5060, vol. 1, no.4, April 2006.
23. Tahir Mahmood, M. A. Choudhry, Aamir Hanif, and Hasham Khan, “Evaluation of Energy Conservation Potential through Restructuring of Electric Utilities in Pakistan”, Published in the Technical Journal University of Engineering and Technology Taxila, 2006. ISSN: 1813-1786.
24. Aamir Hanif, M. A. Choudhry, and Tahir Mahmood, “Software Development Methodology for PLC Based Control Systems”, Published in the Technical Journal University of Engineering and Technology Taxila, 2006. ISSN: 1813-1786.
25. Muhammad Iram Baig and Tahir Mahmood, “Current Trends in ‘PC’ development,” Published in the Technical Journal University of Engineering and Technology Taxila, 2002.
Conference Publication List
1. Tahir Mahmood and M. A. Choudhry, “Application of State Estimation Technique for Impedance matching to optimize Static Transfer Switch operation”, IEEE ICET 2007 3rd International Conference on Emerging Technologies, Riphah International University, Islamabad in collaboration with IEEE Islamabad Section, 12-13 November 2007, Islamabad, Pakistan.
2. Tahir Mahmood and M. A. Choudhry, “Application of Static Transfer Switch for Feeder Reconfiguration to Improve Voltage at Critical Locations”, 2006 IEEE Power Engineering Society (PES) Transmission & Distribution Conference, Caracas, Venezuela, August 15-18, 2006.
3. Tahir Mahmood and M. A. Choudhry, “Reconfiguration of Feeders Using Static Transfer Switch”, IEEE ICET 2006 2nd International Conference on Emerging Technologies, NWFP University of Engineering & Technology, Peshawar Pakistan, November 13-14, 2006
4. M. A. Choudhry, Kashif Naeem Bangash, Tahir Mahmood and Aamir Hanif, “Voltage Control Measures by Using STATCON through PSS/E in WAPDA Power System”, International Joint Conferences on Computer, Information, and Systems Sciences, and Engineering (CISSE 2005, IETA 05, IEEE) 10-20 December 2005. University of Bridgeport, USA
5. M. A. Choudhry, Tahir Mahmood and Aamir Hanif, “Microcontroller Based Embedded System Design for AMR”, Proceedings of the Eighth IASTED International Conference on Power and Energy Systems (PES 2005) October 24-26, 2005, Marina del Rey, CA, USA. ACTA Press pp279-283 paper no. 492-090. ISBN 0-88986-548-5.
6. M. A. Choudhry, Kashif Naeem Bangash and Tahir Mahmood, “Network Simulation with STATCON Devices to avoid Voltage Collapse in the Interconnected System”, IEEE-2005 International Conference on Emerging Technologies (icet-2005) Islamabad, Pakistan. ISBN: 0-7803-9247-7.
7. M. A. Choudhry, Wazir Zada, Aamir Hanif, and Tahir Mahmood, “A Simplistic Technique to Optimize Reactive Power Management in the Electrical Installation for Ensuring Maximum Savings and Reducing Cost of Electricity Consumed”, International Conference of Computational Methods in Sciences and Engineering-2005, Greece. ISBN 90-6764-443-9. Lecture Series on Computer and Computational Sciences Volume 4 A, 2005, pp 121-125.
8. Aamir Hanif, M. A. Choudhry and Tahir Mahmood, “General Guidelines to Design, Simulate and Implement PLC Software for Automation of a Control Process”, 9th International Conference on Mechatronics Technology (ICMT-2005), 5-8 December 2005, Mines Beach Resort & Spa, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
9. Muhammad Ahmad Choudhry, Arshad Hussain Malik, Aamir Hanif and Tahir Mahmood, “A Generic Procedure for Troubleshooting of PLC Based Control Systems”, Proceedings of 11th IEEE International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, 2010, Singapore, ISBN: 3-906454-36-3, pp-732-737.
10. H.M.Zahid Iqbal, M.Waseem, and Tahir Mahmood, “Automatic Energy Meter Reading using Smart Energy Meter”, International Conference on Engineering & Emerging Technologies (ICEET), Superior University Lahore, 20th March 2014 to 21st March 2014.
11. Ramsha Sajjad Abbasi, and Tahir Mehmood, “Feeder Reconfiguration Techniques: A Review”, pp 195-199. International Conference on Energy Systems and Policies (ICESP-2014), November 24-26, 2014. Air University, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Institute of Avionics and Aeronautics, Islamabad Pakistan.
1. Design and Fabrication of Grid Connected Solar Power System); (Rs: 90,000)
2. Smart Energy Meter (Rs. 70,000), (Won second prize in Open House 2013)
3. Design, Fabrication and Interfacing of Single Phase Transformer Trainer (ICT Funding 2013-14, Rs.61,188/-)
1. Automating Manufacturing Systems with PLCs (Completed September 2011); (Rs: 90,000)
2. Impact on the PV System: Climatic and Technical Variables (Completed; Jan. 2014); (Rs. 350,000)
3. Smart Energy Management System (In Progress); (Rs. 400,000/-)
4. Medium Voltage Automatic Transfer Switch (In Progress); (Rs. 4.50,000)
Total Amount (Rs.)= 15,11,188/-
1. Director Board of Post-Graduate Studies (Since July 2013 till to date)
2. Focal Person ‘Open House 2015’
3. Subject Expert for the Selection Board, ‘Federal Urdu University of Arts, Science and Technology Islamabad’ 2015.
4. Subject Expert for the Selection Board, ‘The University of Azad Jammu & Kashmir, Muzaffarabad (A.K)’, vide office order No. 986/M/2014 dated 25th June 2014.
5. Head of ‘Energy Systems Research Group’ of the department
6. Pioneer Head of Department, Swedish College of Engineering, Wah Cantt
7. Head of one of the departmental testing services team (No.UETT/FE&EE/14/300 Dated: 01-10-2014)
8. Member Recruitment committee (BS 1~16).
9. Director Measurement Lab
10. Director Workshop & Project Lab
11. Member Scrutiny committee (BS 1~16)
12. Member Scrutiny committee Graduate Examination (office order No.UETT/Exams/2014/260. Dated 10-06-2014)
13. Director Genset (Appointed by Dean FE&EE)
14. Member University Support Committee
15. Member Academic Council for a period of three years (From 27-9-06 to 27-9-09)
16. Secretary Departmental Energy & Electrical Power System Research Group
17. Director Services Group
18. Class Advisor (Final Year)
19. Member Open House Department Committee
20. Member University Ranking Committee (vide office order No.UETT/ASR&TD/1906. Dated 19-06-2013)
21. Coordinator (Department)Industry Academia Linkage 2013
22. Leader, Academic Audit Team for Software Engineering Department
23. Member Laptop Distribution Committee
24. Resident Tutor of Quaid-e-Azam Hostel
25. Secrecy officer, Examination Branch
26. Scrutinizer of Examination Branch
27. Chairman Auction Committee
28. Chairman Departmental Purchase Committee
29. Member Space Utilization Committee (Departmental)
30. Member University Industry Linkage Committee
31. Member University Discipline Committee
32. Chairman University Load Forecasting Committee for UET, Taxila
33. Deputy Director Basic Electrical Engineering Lab
34. Member Admission Committee, U.E. T. Taxila
35. Visiting Postgraduate Faculty Member, Wah Engineering College, Wah Cantt
1. Power Distribution & Utilization
2. Power Generation
3. Electrical Measurements and Instruments
4. Theory of Transformers and Single Phase Motors
5. Electromechanical Systems.
6. Engineering Management & Economics
7. Probabilistic Methods for Electrical Engineer
8. Electronics Circuits-1.
9. Communication Skills
POST GRADUATE LEVEL
1. EE-7105: Power Delivery Systems (Fall 2013) (PhD Elective)
2. Electric Power Distribution Control & Automation
3. EE-6118: Distribution System Reliability (Spring 2013)
4. Electric Power Distribution Design & Practices
5. Power Quality
6. Power System Planning
7. Power Generation Systems
8. Alternate Energy System
9. Advanced Topics in Power
1. Lecturer University College of Engineering & Technology 1992 to 1997
2. Assistant Professor University of Engineering & Technology 1997 to 2012
3. Associate Professor University of Engineering & Technology 2012 to 2015
4. Professor University of Engineering & Technology 19th March 2015 to date