|Name||Dr. Qaiser-uz-Zaman Khan|
|Department||Civil Engineering (Taxila)|
|Highest Qualification||Ph.D. (Structures), Saitama University, Japan|
(1) Properties of high performance concrete with supplementary cementitious materials [Ayub Elahi, Registration No. 2004-UET/PhD-CE-10, Date of Registration 09-03-2004, Date of approval of thesis 22-12-2009]
(2) Evaluation of retrofitted bridge piers under seismic loading [Muhammad Iqbal, Registration No. 2005-UET/PhD-CE-23, Date of Registration 10-12-2005, Date of approval of thesis 03-09-2013]
(3) Performance of steel strip confined columns [Muhammad Fiaz Tahir, Registration No. 2009-UET/PhD-CE-37, Date of Registration 30-03-2009, Date of approval of thesis 04-12-2013]
PhD Co-supervised (in UK)
(1) Seismic vulnerability assessment of non-ductile reinforced concrete structures in developing countries, [Sohaib Ahmad, Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, University of Sheffield, UK]
PhD research supervision in progress
(1) Vibration based damage detection of concrete structures using FEM and artificial intelligence, (Engr. Muhammad Asif Azam, 07F-UET/PhD-CE-34)
(2) Experimental investigation and implementation of water tank as passive tuned liquid damper for RCC structures, (Engr. Muhammad Jamil Ahmad, 10-UET/PhD-CE-43)
(3) Vulnerability assessment of bridge piers under seismic loading in Pakistan, (Engr. Muhammad Khalid Hafeez, 13-UET/PhD-CE-43))
PhD research thesis evaluated/examined
(1) Performance evaluation of RC structures under earthquake loading, (Muhammad Rizwan, 2005-PhD-Civil-08), UET, Lahore, June 2009.
(2) Bond strength of ultra high strength concrete at intersection of beams, (Kafeel Ahmed, 2005-PhD-Civil-02), UET, Lahore, October 2009.
(3) Energy efficient house design: Effect of orientation on indoor temperature profile, (Ms Sabahat Arif, 2005-PhD-AE-01), UET Lahore November 2011
Theses supervised at Postgraduate level
(1) A cost oriented comparative study of different framing systems. (Muhammad Mohsin, 2k4-MSc-Str-04), May 2006.
(2) Development of evaluation system for reinforced concrete (RC) bridges. (Asif Azam, 2k5-MSc-Str-18), 2007.
(3) Dynamic analysis of building structure subjected to seismic loading. (Faheem Butt, 2k4-MSc-Str-16), March 2007.
(4) Causes of failures of buildings in October 08, 2005 Earthquake and their remedies (Mohammad Amjad Hanif, 2k6-MSc-Str-14), 2008.
(5) Influence of constructional imperfections on the behaviour of multistory structure (Muhammad Ali Syed, 2k4-MSc-Str-06), 2008.
(6) Seismic capacity assessment of existing reinforced concrete structures in Pakistan. (Muhammad Bilal Afzal, 2k7-MSc-Str-10), January 2009.
(7) Bond characteristics in low strength concrete to developed pullout and splitting failure model for accurate inelastic response of non-engineered RC structured, (Khurram Mehmood, 2k7-MSc-Str-06), July 2009.
(8) Development of the low strength concrete model and its implementation in an elastic analysis, (Muhammad Ismail Ashraf, 2k7-MSc-Str-12), November 2009.
(9) Evaluation of effects of Response Spectrum Analysis on height of building and design results. (Hammad Ahmad Bader, 2k6-MSc-Str-01) June 2010
(10) Studying the effects of external blast loading on high rise building. (Faiz ur Rehman, 2k6-MSc-Str-04), July 2010
(11) Optimum structural system for proposed Karachi, IT complex, University road, Karachi, (Muhammad Khalil ur Rehman, 2k6-MSc-Str-15), August 2010.
(12) Evaluation of boundary limits in case of imperfections in structures (Qaiser Abbas, 2k7-MSc-Str-09), January 2011
(13) Fragility analysis of mid-rise frame buildings in Islamabad region, (Shahzad Saleem, 2k7-MSc-Str-15), May 2011
(14) Development of fragility curves of high-rise buildings, (Nazakat Ali, 2k8-MSc-Str-15), May 2011
(15) Development of site specific response spectrum using attenuation equations and dynamic analysis for a critical structure, (Mazhar Mahmood, 2k7F-MSc-Str-13), August 2011
(16) Building sway mitigation measure for tall buildings built with RCC (Abdul Rafay Majid, 2k7-MSc-Str-01), September 2011
(17) Effects of shape of shear wall on performance of high-rise buildings under seismic loading. (Muhammad Asad Iqbal, 2k8-MSc-Str-11), December 2011
(18) Study of plain and steel fiber reinforced concrete one-way slabs. (Muhammad Khalid Hafeez, 2k7F-MSc-Str-09), February 2012.
(19) Experimental evaluation of retrofitted bridge piers with CFRP under seismic loading. (Afaq Ahmad, 2k9-MSc-Str-05), June 2012
(20) Capacity enhancement under seismic loading of bridge pier, strengthened with carbon fiber reinforced polymers(CFRP). (Imran Khan, 2k9-MSc-Str-14), September 2012
(21) Analysis of seismic behavior of continuous composite bridge and to investigate the effects of shear studs. (Muhammad Saad, 2k10-MSc-Str-03), October 2012
(22) Investigation of water tank as TLD for vibration control of frame structures under seismic excitations. (Syed Saqib Mehboob, 2011-FT-MSc-Str-06), July 2013
(23) Investigation of seismic performance of vertically irregular reinforced concrete buildings. (Asif Tahir, 2011-FT-MSc-Str-07), February 2014
(24) Parametric study of finite element model of beam-column joint under seismic loading (Muhammad Nouman, 2010-UET-MSc-Str-11), June 2014
(25) Finite element Modelling of CFRP strengthened bridge piers, (Hafiz Zain Saeed, 2012-PT-UET-MSc-Str-09), February 2015
(26) Numeral modeling of retrofitted bridge piers with CFRP damaged under seismic loading, (Syed Mussadaq Rahim Bokhari, 2012-FT-UET-MSc-Str-04), February 2015
(27) Comparison of smeared and discrete modeling techniques for crack identification in RC bridge girder, (Muhammad Kashif, 2013-FT-UET-MSc-Str-05), May 2015
MSc thesis evaluated/examined
(1) To study the bond behavior in flexural members, Muhammad Akram, 2008, Regd. No. 2005-MS-Civil-Str-78 UET Lahore, Internal examiner Kafeel Ahmad
(2) Bond stress and slip relationship of high strength concrete at joints Muhammad Saleem, 2008, Regd. No. 2005-MS-Civil-Str-97 UET Lahore, Internal examiner Kafeel Ahmad.
(3) A study on water absorption of concrete using SBR latex, Jawed Ahmed Qazi, 2008, Regd. No. 2002-MS-Civil-Str-04 UET Lahore, Internal examiner, Prof. Dr. Zahid Ahmad Siddiqi
(4) Fatigue evaluation of railway steel bridges, Mohammad Shoaib Sarwar, 2009, Regd. No. 2003-MS-Civil-Str-06 UET Lahore, Internal examiner, Prof. Dr. Zahid Ahmad Siddiqi
Theses supervised at undergraduate level
(1) Computer aided analysis and manual design of RC structures.(91-CE-25, Navid Ahmad Malik, 91-CE-07, Mazhar Hafeez Alvi, 91-CE-03, Aqib Gulzar)1995
(2) Computer programming for mix design methods .(91-CE-34, Rashid Bashir, 91-CE-33, Sajjad Mustafa, 91-CE-26, Muhammad Munir, 91-CE-46, Rizwan Sharif)1995
(3) Analysis and design of a concrete structure with STAAD-III and comparison of design results with self-developed programs. (91-CE-68, Junaid Hasan, 91-CE-05, Ahsan Moeen, 91-CE-01, Abid Baig, 91-CE-50, Mubashir Niaz) 1995
(4) Study the effect of rock dust on the properties of concrete and cement-sand mortars. (91-CE-59, Muhammad Yousaf Khan),1995
(5) Analysis and design of overhead bridge, .(93-CE-57, Muhammad Yousaf, 93-CE-59, Bashir Ahmad, 93-CE-39, Mansoor Ahmad Balouch) 1997
(6) Computer aided analysis and design of overhead water reservoir. (1998)
(7) Computer aided design of pre-stressed concrete bridge over river Haro.
(8) Civil Engineering contracts, Planning and administration.(94-CE-61, Nadeem Bhatti, 94-CE-83, Barakallah Tahir, 94-CE-55, Tanveer Ahmad)1998
(9) Construction Planning and Management.(94-CE-45, Muhammad Rafiq Saqib, 94-CE-66, Khalid Mahmood, 94-CE-79, Khalid Iqbal), 1998
(10) Comparison of different slab systems and optimization of their related parameters (94-CT-33, Muhammad Mohsin, 94-CT-06, Haris Bin Siddique, 94-CT-22, Tahir Masood Rana, 94-CT-32, Muhammad Sohail Saleem) 1998.
(11) Computer aided analysis and design of multistory structure. (94-CT-02, Kashif Amin, 94-CT-39, Shahid Mahmood, 94-CT-90, M. Dedar Al Ahmad),1998
(12) Computer aided analysis and design of overhead water reservoir. (94-CT-28, Shahzad Aslam, 94-CT-43, Muhammad Rafiq, 94-CT-69, Ijaz Ahmad, 94-CT-75, Asad Farooq Nazar),1998
(13) Construction planning and management of a project of construction of a multistorey building.
(14) Computer aided analysis and design of committee chowk underpass Rawalpindi (2k2-CT-06, Kashif Khurshid, 2k2-CT-47, Tajdar Wali Lone, 2k2-CT-51, Adnan Mahmood Dar) 2005
(15) Planning, management, analysis and design of RC bridge, Pirwadhai road bridge Rawalpindi (2k2-CT-26, Muhammad Omair Ali, 2k2-CT-58, Ghulam Nabi, 2k2-CT-61, Muhammad Imran Zafar) 2005
(16) Formations of equations for structural member sizes against external loading. (2k3-CE-64, Qaisar Sattar, 2k3-CE-84, Muhammad Irshad Qureshi, 2k3-CE-93, Zeeshan Haider), 2007. [Co-supervisor Engr. Faisal Shabbir, Lecturer, CED]
(17) EXCEL based programs for the design and analysis of reinforced concrete members. (2k3-CT-59, Muhammad Rafiq Kakar, 2k3-CT-61, Nazakat Ali, 2k3-CT-85, Qaiser Abbas,) 2007. [Co-supervisor Engr. Faisal Shabbir, Lecturer, CED]
(18) Analysis and Design of multi storey building of Computer Engineering Department UET Taxila, (2k3-CT-69, Imran Iqbal, 2k3-CT-63, Adeel Mumtaz, 2k3-CT-95, Tauseef Nasir) 2007. [Co-supervisor Engr. Faisal Shabbir, Lecturer, CED]
(19) Computer aided analysis and design of multistory central library, UET Taxila, (2k3-CT-66, Tahir Mehmood, 2k3-CT-72, Shahzad Saleem, 2k3-CT-94, Mudassar Arbi) 2007. [Co-supervisor Engr. Faisal Shabbir, Lecturer, CED]
(20) EXCEL based programs for the design of two way slab using coefficient and direct design method. (2k4-CE-04, Muhammad Waqas Ejaz, 2k4-CE-28, Naveed Ahmad) 2008
(21) Effect of span length on the design of deck slab and girders. (2k4-CE-36, Sarmad Waqas Butt, 2k4-CE-112, Syed Hassan Abbas Kazmi, 2k4-CE-120, Afaq Ahmad) 2008
(22) Design and comparison of different slab systems using SAFE and DDM (2k4-CE-127, Kamran Safdar, 2k4-CE-151, Muhammad Arsalan Raza, 2k4-CE-166, Mazhar Hussain) 2008
(23) Excel based programs for the design of reinforced concrete members (2k4-CE-109, Muhammad Raja, 2k4-CE-118, Muhammad Mohsin Munir, 2k4-CE-126, Syed Bilal Ahmed Zaidi) 2008
(24) Analysis of system built flats by STAAD Pro (2k5-CE-19, Rukhshinda Wasif, 2k5-CE-68, Bushra Atta, 2k5-CE-76, Hira Muneer) 2009
(25) Design of deck slab and girders Analysis of bridge using variable span length (2k5-CE-18, Hafiz Ali Rizwan, 2k5-CE-78, Hafiz Waqas Hashmi, 2k5-CE-136, Zia-UR-Rehman) 2009
(26) Design and Analysis of overhead water tank (INTZ) (2k5-CE-29, Abdullah Anjum, 2k5-CE-115, Muhammad Naveed Shahzad, 2k5-CE-119, Faizan Altaf) 2009
(27) Design of multi-storey building using ETABS and SAFE also comparison between effect of with and without earthquake combinations (2k5-CE-21, Nasir Javed, 2k5-CE-133, Shafique Siddique, 2k5-CE-149, Sher Afgan) 2009
(28) Design and analysis of overhead water tank (intz) (2k5-CE-29, Abdullah Anjum, 2k5-CE-115, Muhammad Naveed Shahzad, 2k5-CE-119, Faizan Altaf) 2009
(29) Analysis and comparison of Pakistan vehicular loading to other countries for shorter and longer span of a bridge (2k5-CE-52, Faheem Rasul, 2k5-CE-132, Kashif Rafique, 2k5-CE-134, Saad ullah Javed), 2009
(30) Design of deck slab and girders of bridge using variable span length
(31) Design of super and sub-structures of existing and widening portions of Kala Bridge (N-5), Taxila, and to explain the closure pour technique for bridge widening (2k6-CE-01, Tayyaba Malik, 2k6-CE-09, Mariam Altaf, 2k6-CE-13, Sarah Ahmed), 2010
(32) Experimental investigation of one-way slab using steel fibers (2k6-CE-36, Muhammad Kashif Akram, 2k6-CE-90, Muhammad Sohail, 2k6-CE-104, Muhammad Kamran Kiani), 2010
(33) Parametric study of internal blast loading in a reinforced concrete structure (2k6-CE-130, Muhammad Usman Ali, 2k6-CE-32, Shahid Iqbal, 2k6-CE-85, Irfan Ahmad Abbasi), 2010
(34) Parametric study of external blast loading on a multistory building using SAP 2000 (2k6-CE-05, Junaid Ahmad, 2k6-CE-07, Yasir Rehman, 2k6-CE-07, Khawaja Mateen Mazher), 2010
(35) Comparative study of two way beam supported system for ACI coefficient method and Direct Design Method (2k7-CE-32, Waqar Ahmad, 2k7-CE-35, Muhammad Naveed Khan, 2k7-CE-88, Muhammad Hanif), 2011
(36) A comparative study of multi-story buildings with regular plan, with and without shear wall (2k7-CE-14, Abdul Mannan, 2k7-CE-85, Ihtsham Haider, 2k7-CE-145, Hassan Hayat), 2011
(37) A cost comparative study of one way grid and two way slab systems supported on beams using ETABS and SAFE (2k7-CE-24, Muhammad Wajid Saleem, 2k7-CE-26, Syed Musaddaq Shah, 2k7-CE-102, Muhammad Shafqat Mehboob), 2011
(38) Parametric study of cost effective slab systems using ETABS and SAFE (2k7-CE-121, Ghulam Yaseen, 2k7-CE-141, Arslan Mumtaz, 2k7-CE-153, Atif Islam), 2011
(39) Manual analysis and design of deck and RC box girder bridge and its comparison with Staad-Pro computation (2k8-CE-79, Asad Abbas, 2k8-CE-27, Syed Turab Haider, 2k8-CE-123,Rahat Hussain), 2012
(40) Manual analysis and design of deck and post-tensioned rectangular box girder with two symmetrical spans bridge and its comparison with Staad-Pro computation (2k8-CE-147, Hafiz Zain Saeed, 2k8-CE-150, Muhammad Omair Jamil, 2k8-CE-47,Atizaz Ali), 2012
(41) Manual analysis and design of post-tensioned box girder for three span bridge and comparison of analysis with Staad-Pro computations (2k8-CE-159, Muhammad Khalid Saifullah, 2k8-CE-65, Arslan Nasir Janjua, 2k8-CE-73, Hafiz Muhammad Aubaid Asaad), 2012
(42) Manual analysis and design of pre-tensioned I-girder for bridge and its comparison Staad-Pro computations (2k8-CE-105, Muhammad Tanveer Zubair, 2k8-CE-139, Muhammad Adnan, 2k8-CE-59, Hafiz Fakhar Abbas), 2012
(43) Analysis and design of 500m long span suspension bridge using “CSi bridge”, (2k9-CE-29, Ali Raza, 2k9-CE-31, Tariq Zahoor, 2k9-CE-46, Abdul Moqeet), 2013. [Co-supervisor, Engr. Afaq Ahmad, Lecturer, CED]
(44) Analysis and design of 2km cable stayed bridge on using “CSi bridge” software, (2k9-CE-11, Sohail Tahir, 2k9-CE-35, Aamir Kalim, 2k9-CE-119, Mansoor Ali), 2013. [Co-supervisor, Engr. Afaq Ahmad, Lecturer, CED]
(45) Design of a prestressed concrete -Girder bridge using “CSi bridge”, (2k9-CE-01, Faiza Mehmood, 2k9-CE-61, Sidra Mobeen, 2k9-CE-109, Fahad Seemab), 2013. [Co-supervisor, Engr. Afaq Ahmad, Lecturer, CED]
(46) Proposed design and analysis of composite bridge near Peshawar Mor (Islamabad) using “CSi bridge”, (2k9-CE-38, Muhammad Junaid, 2k9-CE-40, Amad-ud-Din, 2k9-CE-78, Muhammad Ijaz Hussain), 2013. [Co-supervisor, Engr. Afaq Ahmad, Lecturer, CED]
Field of interest:
(1) Bridge Engineering.
(2) Concrete technology.
(3) Rehabilitation of structures.
(4) Dynamics of structures.
(5) Design techniques of reinforced concrete structures
(6) Civil Engineering Programming
List of Publications:
Publications in impact factor HEC recognized journals
Total Impact Factor: 52.814
Publications in international journals (without impact factor)
Publications in HEC Recognized Local Journals
Publications in international Conferences
Institutional strengthening and upgradation for water permeability apparatus
Experimental investigation of steel fiber reinforced concrete one way slab
Development of the low strength concrete model and in inelastic analysis
Bond Characteristics in low strength concrete to develop a pull out and splitting failure model for accurate inelastic response of none engineered RC Structures
Experimental evaluation of retrofitted with CFRP of bridge piers under seismic loading
Study of Efficiency of transverse reinforcement by using different width/thickness ratios of steel strip confinement and development of design equation
Evaluation of retrofitted bridge piers under seismic loading
(1) Member, Board of undergraduate studies of Civil Engg. Deptt. from October 1994 up to date.
(2) Member, Board of faculty “Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engg.” from August 2004 to date.
(3) Member, Board of postgraduate studies Department of Civil Engineering, from 21 May 2005 to date
(4) Chief Editor of VARSITY NEWS (University Newsletter) from 23-10-2004 to date.
(5) Member, as subject specialist, Selection Board, UET Taxila
(6) Member, as subject specialist, Selection Board, NWFP UET Peshawar
(7) Member as subject specialist, Federal Public Service Commission, Islamabad
(8) Convener Admission Committee UET Taxila from 16th April 2005 to 06-06-2011
(9) Director, Advanced studies, Research and Technological Development, UET Taxila, from 23rd July 2008 to 06-06-2011.
(10) Chairman Library Committee from 04-05-2012 to 15-10-2012
(11) Chairman Health Committee from 15-03-2014 to date
(1) July 1987 to May 1990, Worked as a Lecturer in the Department of Civil Engineering, University college of Engineering, Taxila, University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore, Pakistan
(2) May 1990 to January 2004, Worked as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila, Pakistan
(3) January 2004 to May 2005, Worked as an Associate Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila, Pakistan
(4) From 21 May 2005 to 21 March 2007, Worked as a Professor (BPS-20) in the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila, Pakistan
(5) From 21 March 2007 to 17 March 2008, Worked as a Professor (BPS-21) in the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila, Pakistan
(6) From 17 March 2008 to date, Working as a Assistant Professor on TTS in the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila, Pakistan
(1) Laboratory testing relating to concrete technology, strength of materials
(2) Consultant for technical and strength evaluation of existing buildings.
(3) Consultant for Non-destructive testing of structures
(4) Designer of multistory RC buildings and RC bridges
(5) Member of committee of “Pakistan building code” constituted by ministry of housing and works in 2006.
(6) Member of “core group” constituted by Pakistan Engineering Council for the revision of Pakistan Building code initially made by ‘National Engineering Services, Pakistan’ in 2006
(7) Convener of committee constituted by Federal ministry of housing and works Islamabad for decision about remaining Margalla Tower after 2005 Earthquake. In 2006
(1) At undergraduate level
Mechanics of materials, Concrete technology, Reinforced concrete, Design of structures, Computer aided analysis and design
(2) At postgraduate level
Advance concrete technology, Advanced reinforced concrete design, Dynamics of structures, Earthquake Engineering, Bridge Engineering
Ø Bronze medallist in SSC examination in Federal Board of Intermediate
& Secondary Education Islamabad, 1979
Ø Honour degree and GOLD MEDALLIST in BSc Engg. (1983-1987)
Ø Second Position in the class in MSc Engg. University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Ø Monbusho scholarship of Japanese Government for PhD studies
Ø “Best University teacher award” for the year 2006 awarded by Higher
Education Commission, Government of Pakistan, Islamabad.
(1) Total Quality Management (TQM), organized by the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila, Pakistan, from 23rd July to 24th July 2004.
(2) One day seminar on “Computer applications in Civil engineering”, organized by ACECOMS, AIT Thailand in association with Department of Civil engineering held on April 06, 2005 at UET Taxila.
(3) International workshop and seminar on “Design of buildings and bridges for earthquake affected areas in Pakistan” organized by Philadelphia section American society of Civil Engineers and Institution of Engineers Pakistan, Islamabad center, March 2006
(4) Workshop titled “Use of seismic hazard analysis in engineering design”, Jointly organized by NWFP University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar, Pakistan and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, USA, August 24-25, 2008, Islamabad, Pakistan, Sponsored by Pak-US cooperative program in earthquake related research.
(5) Vulnerability assessment of buildings subjected to Earthquake (VABE), organized by Civil Engineering Department, NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi held at Green Retreat Hotel, Nathiagali, 12th-13 October 2009