|Name||Dr Hafiz Adnan Habib|
|Department||Department of Computer Science|
|Phone No||+92 51 9047 296|
|Fax No||+92 51 9047420|
PhD Electrical Engineeirng UET Taxila Pakistan 2007
MSc Electrical Engineeirng UET Taxila Pakistan 2004
BSc Electrical Engineeirng UET Taxila Pakistan 2000 ______________________________________________________________
"Intelligent Gesture Recognitoin Algorithm for Virtual Keyboard Development"
Virtual keyboard design is an important research & development area in human computer interaction. A keyboard in portable devices is generally inadequate for text entry because of small size and attachment of ordinary keyboard adds to the size. Need for virtual keyboard also exist in human machine interfaces to a wide range of applications in markets as consumer electronics, medical/healthcare, industrial automation, automotive, and public information kiosks.
Current virtual keyboards designs appear in various forms such as finger-joint wearable sensor gloves, thumb code, accelerometer based inputs, laser projected keyboards and gyroscope based sensing. Each virtual keyboard has certain design characteristics. However, performance parameters for the evaluation of keyboards are same such as number of discrete keys, response time and failure rate. Other parameters included can be the ability to remap, key symbol mapping and space requirements. The cost of most of the successful virtual keyboard designs is high due to custom design and expensive technology.
This research provides a new perspective to view the problem of virtual keyboard design by incorporating gesture recognition by using a simple mono vision camera. Human hand and finger movements are considered as gesture movements making keystrokes on any surface. Human hand and finger movements are recorded in video sequence and gesture recognition algorithms estimate the key pressed. This algorithm uses aggregation of gesture information using fuzzy logic and intelligent learning based approach. Feasibility of mono-vision gesture based virtual keyboard is demonstrated. The proposed system shows lesser requirements in hardware due to software centric design and off the shelf components. _______________________________________________________________________
Digital Scene Matching Area Correlation Algorithm Development
Doctoral Dissertation Supervision
1. Muhammad Jamil, “Video Tracking of Articulated Objects”, PhD starting date: November 2009. Expected Graduation: October 2012.
2. Fawad Hussain “Video Summarization for Surveillance”, PhD starting date: November 2009. Expected Graduation: October 2012.
3. Muhammad Rizwan “Face Detection and Recognition in Poor Surveillance Videos”, PhD starting date: November 2009. Expected Graduation: October 2012.
4. Muhammad Haroon Yousuf, “Finger Movement Tracking and Classification for Vision based Virtual Keyboard”. PhD starting date: November 2007. Expected Graduation: October 2010. This research aims at finger joints detection and their tracking to capture finger motions. Further motion analysis will estimate the key pressed.
5. Mahboob Iqbal, “Quantitative Visual Activity Recognition”. PhD starting date: Dec. 2007. Expected Graduation: Dec. 2010. This research aims at quantitatively analyzing the activities of human beings in offices and any workspace such as point of sales, industrial machines etc. This research will benefit employer at any level.
6. Co-supervision, “Efficient Correlation Algorithm for Head Gesture and Gaze Direction”. Head gesture and gaze direction based human computer interaction and human machine interaction algorithm is developed. Gaze direction is estimated in the video sequence for the interaction with head up display in the automotive and infotainment devices. The dissertation also investigates the overlaying over vehicle extremities based upon the gaze direction which is a novel concept in the field of computer vision.
1. Mehreen Mumtaz, “Evaluation of Activity Recognition Algorithms for Employee Performance Evaluation”. Starting Date: March 2010, Expected Graduation: September 2010.
2. Afshan Jamil, “Augmented Reality for Automotive”. Starting Date: March 2010, Expected Graduation: September 2010.
3. Ali Tahir, “Pakistani License Plate Recognition Algorithm”. Starting date: June 2009, Expected graduation: December 2009.
4. Fahad Khan, “Video Analytics Framework for human resource management”. Starting date: June 2009, Completion Date: February 2010.
5. Ali Javed, “Video summarization for handout extraction from video lectures”, Starting date: April 2009, Completion Date: February 2010.
6. Ahmar Qamar, “An efficient real time abnormal behavior detection system”. Starting date: Oct 2008. Completion Date: June 2009.
7. Muhammad Jamil Khan, “Vision based health care monitoring”. Starting date: Sep 2008. Completion Date: June 2009.
8. Saima Rafique, “Visual Toll Audit System”. Starting date: May 2008. Completion Date: December 2009.
9. Co-supervision, “Frame work for Road Detection and Recognition for driver Assistance and Safety System”. Starting date: April 2008. Completion Date: August 2009.
10. Co-supervision, “2D Visual Veil Occluded Face Detection”. Starting date: April 2008. Completion Date: June 2008.
11. Co-supervision, “Real time face detection in low light and infra red images”. Starting date: January 2008. Completion Date: June 2009.
12. Co-supervision, “Detection of Road Boundaries in night time video sequences”. Completion Date: January 2007.
13. Muhammad Haroon Yousuf, “Gesture Recognition based Algorithm for Automated Video Lecture Acquisition”. Completion date: December 2006.
BSc Final Year Projects
1. “Video based vehicle speed measurement”. Starting Date: September 2007. Completion date: June 2008.
2. “Wireless Fingerprint Sensor” Starting Date: September 2007. Completion date: June 2008.
3. “Real time video processing board for face recognition”. Starting Date: September 2007. Completion date: June 2008.
4. “Red eye detection and pseudo coloring”. Starting Date: September 2007. Completion date: June 2008.
5. “Fingerprint biometric based access control system”. June 2007.
6. “Video Surveillance System”. June 2007.
7. “Machine Vision Based Road Monitoring System” June 2007.
8. “Virtual Keyboard”. June 2006.
9. “University Surveillance System” June 2006.
10. “Visual Texture Feature based Classification of Ceramic Tiles”. December 2005.
VIDEO & IMAGE PROCESSING LAB
VIDEO & IMAGE PROCESSING LAB DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES
1. Image Acquisition Training Kit is developed for laboratory demonstration for the subject digital image processing.
2. Fingerprint Time & Attendance System is developed for automated recording of attendance of university students.
1. Principal Investigator for proposal submitted to ICT R&D Fund titled “Employee performance evaluation by video analytic software” worth Rs. 12 millions with expected duration of two years. Evaluation in progress.
2. Principal Investigator for proposal submitted to ICT R&D Fund titled “Machine Vision Monitoring of Health Care Risks” worth Rs. 14.53 millions with expected duration of three years. Evaluation in progress.
TECHNICAL EVENTS ORGANIZATION
1. Finance Co-Chair INMIC (13th IEEE International Multi-topic conference) Dec 14-15, 2009.
2. Conference Secretary GRAMI (Graphics, Multimedia, Imaging) Nov 15, 2006.
1. Saadia Zahid, Fawad Hussain, Muhammad Rashid, Muhammad Haroon Yousaf and Hafiz Adnan Habib, "Optimized Audio Classification and Segmentation Algorithm by Using Ensemble Methods" Mathematical Problems in Engineering Volume 2015 (2015), Article ID 209814
2. N. Ahmed, Y. Saleem, H. A. Habib, S. M. Afzal, S. K. Khurshid, "A Novel Image Encryption Scheme Based on Orthogonal Vectors", Volume 52, Issue 2, The Nucleus
3. "A Framework for Music-Speech Segregation using Music Fingerprinting and Acoustic Echo Cancellation Principle", F. Hussain, H.A. Habib, M.J. Khan Volume 52, Issue 1, The Nucleus
4. Muhammad Shahid, Tabassam Nawaz, Hafiz Adnan Habib, “Eye-gaze driven display power management and conservation system”, Life science journal 2013; 10(11s)
5. Muhammad Shahid, Tabassam Nawaz, Hafiz Adnan Habib, “Eye-gaze and augmented reality framework for driver assistance”, Life science journal 2013; 10(3)
6. Muhammad Haroon Yousaf, Hafiz Adnan Habib, Fawad Hussain, Muhammad Rizwan “Visual Gesture Based Augmented Virtual Keyboard System” Published in The Nucleus 50, No. 4 (2013).
7. Muhammad Haroon Yousaf, Hafiz Adnan Habib, Kanza Azhar, Fawad Hussain, Muhammad Rizwan, Malik M. Asim “Towards The Development of Virtual Keyboard: An Activity Recognition Approach” Published in Life Science Journal 10 (10s), 2013. PP: 275:282.
8. Muhammad Haroon Yousaf, Hafiz Adnan Habib “A Novel Interface of Adjustable Pedals for Automotive: A Gesture Recognition Approach” Published in Middle East Journal of Scientific Research, 11 (11), 1575-1583, 2012.
9. Muhammad Haroon Yousaf, Hafiz Adnan Habib, Kanza Azhar “FUZZY CLASSIFICATION OF INSTRUCTOR’S MORPHOLOGICAL FEATURES FOR AUTONOMOUS LECTURE RECORDING SYSTEM” Published in INFORMATION Journal, Vol. 16, No. 8 (B) PP:6367-6382, August, 2013 .
10. Muhammad Haroon Yousaf, Hafiz Adnan Habib “Virtual Keyboard: Real-time Finger Joints Tracking for Keystroke Detection and Recognition” Published in Arabian Journal of Science and Engineering 2013, DOI:10.1007/s13369-013-0909-2.
11. Ali Javed, Hafiz Adnan Habib, “Video Analytic Algorithm for Handout Extraction from Video Lectures”, Canadian Journal on Image Processing and Computer Vision, Vol. 1, No. 1, February 2010
12. Tabassam Nawaz, Muhammad Saleem Mian, Hafiz Adnan Habib, “Infotainment Device Control by Eye Gaze and Gesture Recognition Fusion”, May 2008 Issue of IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics.
13. Hafiz Adnan Habib, Muhammad Haroon Yousuf, Muid Mufti, “Novel video lecture acquisition framework a gesture recognition approach”, WSEAS transactions on Computers, January 2007 .
14. Hafiz Adnan Habib, Muid Mufti, “Real time mono vision gesture based virtual keyboard system”, IEEE Transaction on Consumer Electronics, Vol. 52, Issue 4, Nov. 2006.
15. Tabassam Nawaz, Muhammad Saleem Mian, Hafiz Adnan Habib, “TCP Enhancement: Fast Active Queue Management Scalable Transmission Control Protocol”, WSEAS transactions on communications, Issue 11, Vol. 5, November 2006.
16. Hafiz Adnan Habib, Muid Mufti, “gesture recognition based handout generation from video lectures: a video summarization application” Accepted for Publication in WSEAS transaction on Systems, November 2005.
17. Hafiz Adnan Habib, Muid Mufti, “Hand articulation and fingertip trajectories based trainable Gesture recognition framework for Virtual Keyboard” WSEAS transaction on Computers Issue 6, Volume 4,September 2005.
18. Hafiz Adnan Habib, Muid Mufti, “Vector Feature Space Partitioning: Efficient Aerial Image Registration Algorithm for Autonomous Navigation of Aerial Vehicle” WSEAS transactions on Computers Issue 6, Volume 4, June 2005.
19. Aiman Nadeem, Muhammad Haroon Yousaf, Hafiz Adnan Habib “Management Information System for Documents Archiving and Organization Security”Published in 3rd International Conference on Advanced Computer Theory and Engineering (ICACTE) 2010, Chengdu, China.
20. Sameen Shaukat, Muhammad Haroon Yousaf, Hafiz Adnan Habib “Real-Time Feet Movement Detection and Tracking for Controlling a Toy Car”Published in 3rd International Conference on Advanced Computer Theory and Engineering (ICACTE) 2010, Chengdu, China.
21. Muhammad Haroon Yousaf, Khubab Ahmed, Kanza Haroon, Hafiz Adnan Habib “Human Activity Recognition for Intelligent Video Lecture Recording” Published in International Conference on Recent Achievements in Mechatronics, Automation, Computer Science and Robotics (MACRO 2010), Tirgu-Mures, Romania
22. Khubab Ahmed, Muhammad Haroon Yousaf, Hafiz Adnan Habib “Autonomous Lecture Recording System for distance Learning” Presented at NCICT 2007 at UST Bannu, Pakistan
23. Hafiz Adnan Habib, Muhammad Haroon Yousaf, Muid Mufti “Novel Video Lecture Acquisition Framework A Gesture Recognition Approach” WSEAS Transaction on Computer January 2007
24. Hafiz Adnan Habib, Muhammad Haroon Yousaf, Muid Mufti “Gesture and Scene Recognition Based Autonomous Video Lecture Acquisition Framework for Distance Learning” WSEAS International Conference on Distance Learning, Lisbon, Portugal 2006
25. Hafiz Adnan Habib, Muhammad Haroon Yousaf, Muhammad Mohibullah “Modifies Laws Texture Energy Measures for Ceramic Tiles” Published in NCET 2004(Joint Venture of IEEE , ACM ,SZABIST) at Szabist Karachi, Pakistan.
26. Ahmar Qamar, M. Arfan Jaffar, Hafiz Adnan Habib“A supervisory system to detect suspicious behavior in online testing system”, Accepted for publication at ICINT July 10-12, 2009 Perth Australia.
27. Muhammad Haroon Yousuf, Hafiz Adnan Habib, “Autonomous Lecture Recording System for Distance Learning”, NCICT 2007 at University of science and technology Bannu 2007.
28. Hafiz Adnan Habib, Muhammad Haroon Yousfu, Muid Mufti, “Gesture & Scene Recognition Based Autonomous Video Lecture Acquisition Framework for Distance Learning”, WSEAS International conference on Distance Learning Lisbon Portugal 2006.
29. Tabassam Nawaz, Muhammad Saleem Mian, Hafiz Adnan Habib, “TCP Enhancement: Fast Active Queue Management Scalable Transmission Control Protocol” WSEAS International conference on communications 2006.
30. Habibullah Jamal, Sami-ud-Din, Hafiz Adnan Habib. “Road Boundary Detection in night video sequence: A novel technique for autonomous vehicles” 17th ICM Conference December 13-15, 2005, Taxila, Pakistan.
31. Hafiz Adnan Habib, Muid Mufti, “Video Summarization Based Handout Generation from Video Lectures: A Gesture Recognition Framework”, 5th International Conference on Signal Processing, Computational Geometry & Artificial Vision (ISCGAV ‘05), Malta, September 15-17, 2005.
32. Hafiz Adnan Habib, Muid Mufti, “Trainable Gesture recognition framework for Virtual Keyboard” 5th WSEASinternational conference of Signal, Speech and Image Processing (SSIP ‘05), August 17-19, Corfu Island, Greece.
33. Hafiz Adnan Habib, Muid Mufti, “Efficient Aerial Image Matching Algorithm for Autonomous Navigation of Aerial Vehicle” 4th WSEAS International Conference on Electronics, Signal Processing and Control (ESPOCO) April 25-27 2005, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Hafiz Adnan Habib, Haroon Yousaf, “Modified Laws Energy Measure for Inspection of Ceramic Tiles”, National Conference on Emerging Technologies (NCET) SZABIST, IEEE, ACM, Karachi 2004.
Chairman Department of Computer Science Mar 2015 - to date
Director Big Data Laboratory Aug 2015 - to date
Chairman Department of Computer Engineering Aug 2007 - Aug 2010
Director Video & Image Processing Laboratory Jun 2005 - to date
Incharge Store Aug 2004 - Aug 2007
Coordinator Final Year Project Dec 2004 - Aug 2007
Academic Council Mar 2015 - to date
Board of PGS CPSD Mar 2015 - to date
Academic Council Aug 2007 - Aug 2010
Board of PGS CPED Aug 2007 - Mar 2015
Cloudera Academic Partnership Sep 2015 - to date
Patron COMPTECH CS Department Jun 2015 - to date
Patron Taxalian Robotic and Automation Jan 2008- Aug 2010
Conferences & Events
Co-Finance Secretary INMIC 2009
Chief Organizer CEC 2008
Conference Secretary GRAMI 2006
University of Engineering & Technology Taxila, Pakistan
Computer Engineering Department: Aug 2004 - to date
Director Big Data Lab CS Department Jun 2015 - to date
Chairman Computer Science Department Mar 2015 - to date
Chairman Computer Engineering Department Aug 2007 - Aug 2010
Associate Professor Aug 2007 - to date
Assistant Professor Aug 2004 - Aug 2007
Director Video & Image Processing Laboratory Jun 2005 - to date _____________________________________________________________
AERO Hassanabdal, Pakistan
Assistant Manager Aug 2001 - Aug 2004 _____________________________________________________________
Comcept Pvt Ltd, Islamabad Pakistan
Hardware Engineering Mar 2001 - Jul 2001
Paknet Pvt Ltd, Islamabad Pakistan
Hardware Engineering Jun 2000 - Feb 2001
Post Graduate Teaching