||Dr. Mustansar Ali Ghazanfar
||Department of Software Engineering
1) PhD (Electrical Engineering with specialisation in Machine Learning/Data Mining), 2013, University of Southampton, UK
2) MSc (Software Engineering), 2008, University of Southampton, UK
3) BSc (Software Engineering), 2006, UET-Taxila, Pakistan (Gold Medalist)
• Data Mining and Machine Learning: Recommender Systems, Collaborative Filtering, Information Retrieval, Kernel based learning, Classification techniques, Dimensionality reduction techniques for handling large scale data, Clustering
• Forecasting, Personalization, Prediction
• Quantitative Analysis, Quant research and development, Hedge fund
• Software Development, Object Oriented Programming
1) Ghazanfar, M. and Prugel-Bennett, A., Kernel-Mapping Recommender Systems: Generating Scalable Recommendations. In Information Science Journal, Jan 2012. (5 yr Impact factor = 3.005)
2) Ghazanfar, M. Szedmak, S. and Prugel-Bennett, A., Incremental Kernel Mapping Algorithms for Highly Scalable Recommendations. In 23rd IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, Special Session on Recommender Systems in e-Commerce (RSEC), Nov, 2011, USA.
3) Ghazanfar, M. and Prugel-Bennett, A., The Advantage of Careful Imputation Sources in Sparse Data-Environment of Recommender Systems: Generating Improved SVD-based Recommendations. In the European Conference on Data Mining (ECDM’11), 24-26 July 2011, Italy (Granted with the best student paper award)
4) Ghazanfar, M. and Prugel-Bennett, A., The Advantage of Careful Imputation Sources in Sparse Data-Environment of Recommender Systems: Generating Improved SVD-based Recommendations, Informatica Journal
5) Ghazanfar, M. and Prugel-Bennett, A., Fulfilling the Needs of Gray-Sheep Users in Recommender Systems, A Clustering Solution. In: 2011 International Conference on Information Systems and Computational Intelligence, 18-20, January, Harbin,China.
6) Ghazanfar, M. and Prugel-Bennett, A., Building Switching Hybrid Recommender System Using Machine Learning Classifiers and Collaborative Filtering, IAENG International Journal of Computer Science 37 (2010), no. 3, 272–287.
7) Ghazanfar, M. and Prugel-Bennett, A., Novel Significance Weighting Schemes for Collaborative Filtering: Generating Improved Recommendations in Sparse Environments. In: DMIN 10, the 2010 International Conference on Data Mining, July 2010, USA.
8) Ghazanfar, M. and Prugel-Bennett, A., An Improved Switching Hybrid Recommender System using Naive Bayes Classifier and Collaborative Filtering. In the 2010 IAENG International Conference on Data Mining and Applications (ICDMA10), Hong Kong, 17-19 March, 2010.
9) Ghazanfar, M. and Prugel-Bennett, A., Novel Heuristics for Coalition Structure Generation in Multi-Agent Systems. In: the 2010 International Conference of Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Systems, 30 June - 2 July, 2010, United Kingdom.
10) Ghazanfar, M. and Prugel-Bennett, A., A Scalable, Accurate Hybrid Recommender System. In the 3rd International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (WKDD 2010), 9-10 Jan 2010, Thailand.
11) Ghazanfar, M., Efficient Bandwidth Speech Processing Techniques Used in Satellite Communication, In ISNET Sep. 2006, Pakistan
• Research Collaborative: MobileVCE from Oct 2008 to Sep 2011.
o Worked on Instant knowledge project (http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/research/projects/469)
o Recommender system algorithms in Java
o Deliver presentations, seminars, and demos to different industry members (MobileVCE, Thales, etc.)
• Assistant Manager (Software Engineer): SUPARCO (Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission) from Dec 2005 to Sep 2007
o Software Developer: C/C++, Java, Matlab
o Did practical work for data handling of CFI (Customer Furnished Instruments), that would be employed in Pak Sat-1R (Pakistan’s first indigenous satellite)
• Internee at SUPARCO Lahore from Oct 2005 to Dec 2005 as a software developer
• Demonstrator/Teaching Assistant at ECS, University of Southampton
o Conducting undergraduate labs
• Residential Computing Advisor: University of Southampton UK, 2008/09 session
o Resolving IT related problems of the university halls of residents
• MSc Software Engineering Advisor: University of Southampton UK, 2010/11 session
o Advising international students for their problems related to studies, language, and others.
IEEE, IEE, British Red Cross
• Best Student Paper award in IADIS European conference on data mining, July 2011, Italy
• Got PhD studentship from MobileVCE (www.mobilevce.com)
• Achieved scholarship from HEC (www.hec.gov.pk) for doing MSc in U.K.
• Top in Software Deptt.,University of Southampton, 2007/08 session.
• Gold Medalist of UET-Taxila in Software Deptt. (Overall 4 yr top)
• Achieved scholarships repeatedly from UET Taxila.
• Achieved grand cash prize from NESCOM (www.nescom.gov.pk) Pakistan, Apr. 2007
• Achieved scholarship from PITB (www.pitb.gov.pk), Oct 2005
1) The European Conference on Data Mining (ECDM’11), 24-26 July 2011, Italy (Granted with the best student paper award)